Saturday, January 3, 2009

I.S. Means Iloilo Supermart


Years back, when I first visited Iloilo City, I remembered having to do shopping to prepare for noche buena. My husband happens to love cooking and he is in demand in the Baluya family to prepare his famous "potato salad".

So off we went to do our shopping. When I asked where we were going, everyone said "sa Atrium". I didn't know where it was, so I just enjoyed the ride. I was surprised though when we parked at the provincial capitol where my mother-in-law works. When I asked why, they all said, parking is hard at the Atrium and besides its just across the street, we can walk.

We entered the store and I noticed it had more than 20 or so check-out counters and its jampacked with shoppers. Only one entrance and one exit, its not a dual entrance supermarket. So shoppers are forced to follow the path the store has planned out. The personal care section is the first on the traffic flow. It's sad though that most of the skin and beauty products are enclosed in a counter with a sales clerk manning it. You can't touch and read the labels of the products. Pretty old fashion, when most of the stores are already self-service but I guess this is to manage pilferage since these are high-value.

As I went around the store, I was surprise to discover it was pretty complete. The fresh produce had quite a variety of meat cuts and vegetables though the seafood section isn't that complete, could be because people here still visit the wet market and want their seafood pretty fresh. But they have in stock even fresh herbs. This store is NOT BAD at all! I've underestimated their assortment on food items.

Staying there awhile made me realize why people go to this store despite the fact that the store aisles are small and shopping carts can bumped into each other, but the shoppers don't seem to care. Its pretty convenient, accessible with public transport. There is no big mall to deal with, less time spent walking. And its complete! Outside the supermarket is the local bakeshop "Tinapayan" that features a pastry christmas village display every year (a tradition).

I guess the Ilonggos come here because, they feel right at home. You'll even hear shoppers meeting and greeting friends happy holidays. So shoppers really feel the familial bond inside the store. I can't complain, I'm just a visitor and these people shop here everytime.


Mrs Jane B.

No comments: