Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kadyos at Ilonggo Grill


It's really good to marry someone outside your province or town ... allows you to discover new things, new local flavours. Of course, I'm not against the "fall-in love with thy neighbor". Having an Ilonggo husband allows me to not just learn a new dialect in the Philippines but allows me to visit Iloilo in Panay on a regular basis.

My husband loves to cook, and loves eating more! And with it comes the fun of eating Ilonggo food. I learned to love eating Pantat Adobado (visit Zaraga in Iloilo during Christmas and they have their Pantat "catfish" festival akin to the Bangus Festival in Dagupan) and my new love, "kadyos". Its the Ilonggo's version of "sinigang". It's this dish that contains black peas local to Panay. It can be with pork or "bisaya" chicken, with "batuan" for the sour taste and vegetable "langka" (jackfruit). I remebered my in-laws bringing us the raw "kadyos" peas in Manila just so my husband could cook for me the dish.

You really can't find the "kadyos" in the local fresh area of the supermarket, in fact I don't even think there's available ones in the local public market. Though, I was told, there are some, but not on a regular basis. Since its really hard to find here, once my "kadyos" craving strikes, I used to feel so helpless ... but wait we found a place that served this dish that's passable enough vs Nang Oning's cooking (my in-laws trusted help and cook back in Iloilo).

So, if you're wondering what it tastes like, visit Ilonggo Grill in any of the popular foodcourts in malls. We know there's one in Galleria. An order would cost P70+ good for two already or if you're so hungry should only be good for you.

Try it, it will give you a different "sinigang'!



Mrs. Jane B.

No comments: