Saturday, August 23, 2008

Nail Spa in the Metro

When I was 24 or so, I remembered having my nails done every week and planning my wardrobe so that my nail polish matches my clothes. And, yeah, for those who can remember I match my make-up too! After a year or so of this nail-fashion lifesytle, my nails suffered from "polish fatigue" as I might call it. Besides, there was this "manicurista" I frequented in one of the neighborhood salons near San Miguel Village in Makati, but when she left I just couldn't find the perfect "manicurista". I started seeing blood everytime I had my nails done ... so I stopped. So even in my wedding, I didnt have my nails polished ... I was just too scared! I get foot spa's but no more of those "nippers" into my flesh!

It was only last year when I re-discovered the love for nail polish after our Mumbai, India trip with Mutya Laxa. We had to go there to understand how we could learn from our sister co's face care rural penetration program. Fortunately for us, the India skin team were going to a nail spa as part of their consumer emersion program. So they slotted us and we went for an afternoon of pampering. Mutya and I were so impressed and surprised because the attendants there were male and they were quite gentle and adept with the "nippers" -- it was sooo relaxing. Mutya and I even started talking about putting up a similar nail spa in Manila. Yah, maybe just maybe ...

And when I got back to Manila, I immediately checked the nail spa in the metro. So far, I've been to 3 : The Nail Spa at the Shangrila Mall, Dashing Diva at Beauty Bar Glorietta 3 (before the bomblast) and at California Nail Spa at the Robinsons Galleria.

The Nail Spa also has a small spa inside Essences in Glorietta and I've been there as well. The place is really very "spa-like" with massage chairs for each customer. You can actually fall asleep there (specially in their Shangrila Malla). The attendants are very careful and they dont chit-chat. So if you want peace and quiet and have our nails done at the same time, go for this spa. The Shang branch is frequented by local movie & TV personalities, its a pretty busy branch so you have to call them ahead of time.

Dashing Diva on the other hand is quite the opposite of The Nail Spa. Here its all colorful, its usually inside the Beauty Bar (now I go to the Rockwell branch) and the attendants love to chit-chat. They offer spa parties for min of 10 or so and you can purchase your own mani/pedi set and you can leave it in the branch so you can just use it the next time to come for a service. They have a loyalty card where they give freebies or drinks after certain no. of services paid for.

California Nail Spa is almost like Dashing Diva but their services are priced lower and they offer a wider range of spa services. They have more nail art available, the attendants are very skilled as well but they dont have the comfy chairs that the two spas above have.

My personal fave though is the Dashing Diva, the place uplifts me and my toes are happy after every visit! I love their shades and the polish lasts a good 2 weeks which is good enough for me. I don't do weekly nails anymore, my skin have gotten pretty thin. A monthly visit does it for me!

I hope I can find a Dashing Diva-like spa when I stay in Durban. It would be so tragic if I don't get to have my nails done again in 12 months!


Mrs. Jane B.

No comments: