Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Practical Choice ... Budget Hotels - GO Hotel Otis

As I was assigned to Visayas and Mindanao, I had the customary meetings in Manila for HO (head office) updates and alignments. I would usually stay at our condo in Mandaluyong. My former boss, a fellow Bisdak (someone who hails from VisMin and speaks Bisaya) is always so kind to pass by me, as we live within the same area, and give me a ride to the Head Office. My other option was to borrow a "spare car" from the office so I can drive myself to and from my condo. 

Last year, Manila started having all these road rehab and construction projects. Driving within the Metro meant extra minutes of travel. I was horrified one-time of driving from Bel Air Makati to Greenhills Shopping Center for 1.5hrs on a Sunday when EDSA was being rehabilitated. This wouldn't take more than 30mins on a normal Sunday at 1030am!!!

So I re-assessed my accommodations when I visit Manila for work. I was told of the new Go Hotel at Otis which is just across the office. And so I did. Now, I've never been to a Go Hotel before but this hotel is very near our Head Office, a good 5-10min walk. It's marketed as a budget/value hotel. It doesn't serve breakfast, it has no restaurants (but it's within the Robinsons Otis Mall that has restos), no pool, no spa, no gym, no in-house massage, no meeting rooms or business center, no free water or coffee/tea and it's a bring-your-own personal amenities kit otherwise pay P99 for a kit. They do provide the usual towels, bathmat, handsoap and shampoo, and free wifi. There is a vendo that sells water, assorted drinks, chips, and hot drinks like coffee and chocolate to satisfy your food cravings or you can always go down and shop at the Robinsons supermarket.

This is their single bed room. Rooms on maximum can really just accommodate 
2 adults and max of 2 kids under 6 years old.

Room rates so far averages at Php1,300/night whether single or two beds. Well, if you check their website, they have offers lower than this. For a Manila hotel with the amenities available, this is value already for me. And this place is still new, so it doesn't have that old building smell. Their rooms do not have carpets though and so do the halls ... this means sound absorption may be a problem and you can hear echos if people talk too loud in the halls.

There is no breakfast place or resto, and you're not supposed to eat inside your room. So, Go Hotel provides you with an outside eating area that can double up as a lounging area as well. We had a typhoon today, and decided to order delivery and we just ate our dinner at the hall below. 

This is a view of their hall. Notice the yellow table where my work notebook is? 
Newspapers are also provided for.

I've also noticed that most of the people who book rooms here are either students reviewing for some exam, families (probably vacationing in Manila) and some foreigners. They look decent, not at all weirdos, so far! And today, I think it has people checking in because some areas of Manila have no electricity and water. A value for money hotel that can solve these temporary concerns caused by a typhoon.

So, I've stayed here in most of my stays in Manila. It allows me to be close to the office, not be stuck in traffic or drive for hours ... it's almost like a dorm within our office! So I say, it's a practical choice when in the Manila area. You may want to try it!

Mrs Jane B. 

No comments: