Monday, July 7, 2014

Red Yellow Green

Remember in nursery or kindergarten you had this song, "beep-beep the small jeep is coming down the street, stop, look and listen 2x, beep-beep the small jeep is coming down the street"? I remembered this toy that our teacher uses to explain the meaning of the traffic lights. You could dismantle it, then close the different lights to show the color ... can you remember this toy? Probably my classmates in San Carlos would.

Well I checked the internet and all I could find was this pic, it's the closest to that toy in kindergarten.

I am no wondering if the schools have stopped (private and public) teaching this in school. I drive around today with my recovering ankle and I get these crazy pedestrians crossing when the light is soooo GREEN! My dad said I should excuse these people "kay basi wala sila kita ug traffic light sa ila bukid". WAHAT? No dad, I only saw "palay" in books and saw real "palay" when I was in college during a field trip ... so really in this day and age, "wa pa kakita ug traffic light"? 

Do people know what the lights mean? Honestly, this is very basic. Schools should teach children road signs and safety as part of, I don't know Social Studies or Homeroom Sessions or Social Graces (mommy friends, do kids still have this?). 

Or you know like, when walking one should be able to identify the safe side. Do you know where it is? Hala, patay basi absent mo sa class when this was discussed. You should be able to see the incoming traffic and that is the side you should be walking. When I drive and I see a grown-up letting a child walk along the danger side ... my gosh, ganahan gyud ko manaog ug kasab-an ang adult and teach them that children should be walking in the inner side of the road or sidewalk (if there is any). And this goes for motorcycles too!!!

Really, people take road safety for granted! They expect other people to do that for them! I really think schools can help educate our children and parents alike on this one. It's a simple song that can save lives!

"Beep-beep the small jeep is coming down the street, stop, look and listen 2x, beep-beep the small jeep is coming down the street".

Mrs Jane B. 




No comments: