Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Flying Toddlers

When we were growing up, I would remember several instances where we will be left under the care of our Aunt for several days while our parents would travel for holiday. When they got back I vividly remember once having a battery operated helicopter toy as gift from their Manila travel. Traveling in the 80's with children might have been such a nightmare for parents here in the Philippines. With air travel so limited, most would probably take the ships to travel to and from the different islands of our country. Besides, this was the 80's when disposable diapers where not the usual fare for mothers. It must have been really hard even if you had a yaya or nanny in tow.

Last year, I needed to travel with a one-yr old. I've done all the preps. His baby bag becomes my fashionable handbag and I opted to carry him (as he still couldn't walk) rather than bringing a body carrier or a stroller (he had one in our destination). I also prepared milk so that when we fly he sucks the bottle and wouldn't experience air pressure inside his tiny ears. Besides, this was a 30-minute flight, how bad could it be?

My first hurdle was checking in, thank heavens I had a four-wheel luggage bag that made it easy for me to push and endorse to the airline counter. So now I have baby bag and the toddler. Whew! Next hurdle was the final check-in, a bit easy since I only have the baby bag.

But when I got it, I remembered seeing a sign before in my previous trips that said Airport Playroom. So I asked one of the airport personnel if there was a playroom in the Iloilo Airport. And yes, there was! In fact, I was pleasantly surprise because the Iloilo Toddlers Area was very spacious and clean. The personnel in-charge was very accommodating and even told me that they have a breast-feeding room and changing table ready for use. I think most local airports have this already. I saw one in Davao but it wasn't as spacious as the one in Iloilo.
Don't let the "Massage" sign fool you, look up ...
The entrance to the Toddler & Nursing Mother Station at Iloilo Airport

The hallway leading to the play area

Play area which includes a TV showing child-friendly shows

Closer look at the play area, it also has lots of books!

As the sign says, one guardian only per child
So I put down the toddler and made him play on the rubber mat. Whew! Baby care duties made easy! And our flying from Iloilo to Cebu was a breeze ... I was just the adult who got stressed but the toddler just dozed off and woke up just in time for landing!

The wonders of modern living ... now flying with a toddler isn't that bad at all! 

Mrs Jane B.



No comments: