Saturday, July 19, 2008

GARAGE Sale Anyone?

Been planning to do a garage sale a couple of months back. So I took the courage and started shipping since Dec stuff I havent used for the past 3 months and tag them for my sale. A lot of the stuff are clothes and bags, and yes towels and shoes . . . and this weekend I finally got to do it! My parents helped by preparing the place where I was going to sell and even set-up streamers for my sale. So this weekend I went home to Cebu to celebrate my mom's 60th bday and run my garage sale.

I tagged, listed and priced my items the night before and had a pre-sale viewing for my relatives which proved to be a lot of fun as my cousins and aunt tried on stuff. Of course I made money that night already . . . he he he. Proceeds of my sale is going to our home renovation fund.

The garage sale itself lasted only 7 hrs, the Cebu heat was on but despite that people still enjoyed digging into the clothes, trying on the belts and shoes, and haggling with me on the flat iron with steamer I got as corp give-away (unused complete w/ manual). I got rid of years of corp bag give-aways which the shoppers wanted to use as school bag for their kids. Very good deal since I was selling the bags from P25-50. One guy bought 5 bags!
It was pretty good that we have single pricing strat implemented. Yeah, a garage sale with pricing strat! What I meant was, to simplify, we had one price for every item, like pants/skirts/shorts all at P100, the used bath towels which were our bestsellers were selling at P10 each. It worked for us. Easy to remember and account for.

Second, proper visibility of items. We hung the mens poloshirts and dresses to call attention but what sold out were the cheap collarless shirts. The colorful laundry baskets we used allowed the shoppers to dig in and really get lost in all the merchandise. The pricing of the products were visible so shoppers knew exactly how much the items cost. This did not however stop them from haggling.

Lastly was the music! We had our old karaoke playing loud music to announce something was happening in our area. Ha ha ha, it was really loud but it created the festive mood that allowed the shoppers to concentrate on the find and not on the extreme heat of the day. I was so tempted to sell our karaoke too, but I need this for my next sale.
Truly it was a fun experience for everyone! We couldnt believe we could sell off the items. Because of this Im going for round two soon . . . And so the saying goes, "someone's trash can become someone else's treasure . . ." Did I get this right?

'Till my next shopping write-up.

Mrs Jane B
June 15, 2008

No comments: